Sunday, April 30, 2006

Praise My Soul The King Of Heaven

Those of you with remnants of memories from Anglican or similar schooling, upbringing or other indoctrination may recall these words.

They are pertinent for me because of the aforementioned religious and familial environment of my childhood.

The words and those that follow have relevance for me in 2006, let alone 1956 and 1966. They constitute a very well-known A & M hymn which our daughter chose last year for her own wedding (because Gill and I had it at our wedding back in the 14th Century).

During my speech a few hours after last June's nuptials, I meant to remind the assembled host of the first two lines of the second verse . . . .


"Praise him for his grace and favour,
To our fathers in distress."


I wanted to say how relevant I found these old lyrics when one is in the process on marrying off one's only daughter.

In the emotional and wine-assisted spirit of the occasion, I forgot and said something else. I suppose I could sit down and watch the videotapes to remind me what I said, but it really doesn't matter.

What I can say nearly a year later is that son-in-law Ian will come to realise the import of those same words later this year. His wife Cathy - our daughter – is due to give birth to their first child, our first grandchild, and the first great-grandchild for our own surviving parents (3/4 isn't bad).

It is difficult to type this, not only because of emotions, but due to the noise emanating from the Latin American group of wandering minstrels in the Italian Restaurant here in Matagalpa, Nicaragua.

This grupo of about five local musicians present an interesting image and accompanying sounds: traditional Spanish tunes, lyrics and harmonising (mostly), traditional dress (a la Mexican vaqueros/cowboys), traditional instruments (guitars, violin, bass etc) and traditional accoutrements, such as the mobile phones clipped to their traditional belts.

Gill and I have already decided that we do NOT wish to be called Nanna or Grandpa respectively, nor any vaguely similar derivative, which seems to be the English custom. Ultimately our first grandchild will decide, which is why all current Naylor-descended grandchildren call Gill's parents with the label that Gareth bestowed on them circa 1972, Gunnie and Papa.

We will try to steer our new descendant towards Ouma & Oupa, even it does mean the same as the English custom. Failing that, he/she/they can call us by our ordinary names, Gill & Roger, and not what our current offspring call us when they think we're not listening or are already deaf.

The current forecast for the birth is the end of November, and 29th November is Cathy's own birthday! I will keep readers posted of developments with Cathy’s confinement, Battle of the Bulge etc, at the risk of being accused of being not the only person to go through this life-change.

Watch this blog for developments on the sprog.

Keep well, safe and in touch.

Roger J

No comments: